Text and photo: Maria Vang Ormhaug
Norwegians Worldwide meets Norwegian proprietor Morten Sohlberg in his elegant restaurant Blenheim, located at 283 W 12th St, West Village, New York.
With wife Min Ye, Morten owns and operates the successful Smörgås Chef Restaurant Group, which consists of two Smörgås Chef locations, three Crêpes du Nord locations, a catering business, as well as Blenheim restaurant.
Farm to Table
Nothing seems to be left to chance by this man, who also own and operate Blenheim Hill Farm, a 150-acre historic farm in the Catskill Mountains that exclusively provides livestock and produce for the restaurants. He is a self-thought chef, and says that the way he finds new ways in the kithcen is to work with the goods that nature provides, and experiment with different tastes. He even makes the soil imself, as the first step towards producing the food.
He explains that all the restaurants are run with Scandinavian principles, such as good produce, short travelled food and high quality. Since it´s important that the food is local, the dishes may vary with location and time of the year. The menu on Blenheim currently offers many selection of salmon, but the manu changes with the season. At Smörgas the menu is very Scandinavian inspired, with meatballs, gravlaks, cod and shrimps.
Sohlberg has a background in design, and he not only runs the Blenheim restaurant, creates the menu, operates the farm that produces the food, he also designed and made all the interior. Definitely worth a visit if you are in New York. Blenheim is reccomended by the Michelin guide, and offers classy quality food. West Village is a tranquil and pleasant neighborhood, with lots of cozy cafes, shops and the famous Magnolia Bakery where you should get the red velvet cupcake.
Smörgas can be found on Mathattan and Wall Street, and serves what they describes as “new Nordic cuicine”. The current menu offers genuine Scandinavian food, including the Swedish classic “Smörgosbord” and open faced sandwhiches.
Find Blenheim Farm on Facebook
About Morten Sohlberg
- Morten co-founded Sessions.edu, the world’s largest online college of design with 10,000 students in 140 countries
- He served on Distance Education and Training Council’s Committee for Government & Public Relations in Washington, D.C.
- He serve as Treasury of the Board of Directors of the Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce
- He holds degrees from the Nesbru Skole in Oslo, the Istituto per L’Arte in Florence, and has pursued entrepreneurial and business studies at the Leonard N. Stern School of Business at New York University
- Morten lives with his wife Min and their three boys and they split their time between Manhattan and the farm in Catskill Mountains